Saturday 1 March 2014

My Mother Ramjhuri Devi

My Mom was a sweet and caring person.She never forced me to do house-chores but let me free like my brothers to live life and educate myself.In 1960s there were hardly any gas stoves,my mother had to cook on a earthen stove with coals and wood.And in hot summers that was a difficult job.She came from a village in Sultanpur and visited with us to see her brother.Later on my Father built up a house in Chhitwapur,we would spend half the year in village and half in Lucknow.He passed away in 1969.

Mom was very fond of her younger son Radheyshyam and lived with him till her death.He also took good care of her.She had a sweet tooth and especially loved "Jalebi". She knew how to deal with the world,for us she would be soft and caring for outsiders she would be strict and no-nonsense sort. Shukla lady that lived in front of our house would complete her house chores and come and talk with my mother.Her son played "Dholak" really well and was a intrinsic part of any religious function like Kirtan,jagran etc. .Her brother-in-law Dwarka was a learned intelligent person and lived with us on the upper floor.He guided my mother on financial matters and she would ask his advice on important issues.

She lived on to her 80s,she would visit her ancestral village,comeback and say that all her childhood friends are dead only she is alive.She left us after a long illness in 2006.

2 comments:


  1. kim h answered 1 day ago

    I am a mother and my middle child claims that she is the least favorite. She always points out who is her fathers favorite and my favorite. She is wrong. We do not have favorites. What we have is three different relationships with each of them. We like different things about each of them. We share interests with each of them. It does not mean that we have favorites.

    My daughter is the only girl having two brothers. She gets to do all the girl stuff with me and we take a few trips without the guys each year. She also likes to fish, hunt and ride four wheelers so she takes the guy trips with her dad also. You would think that would be an argument that she is the favorite. She spends more time alone with me and with her father than the other two do.

    We really do love them all the same, it is just we have different relationships with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. slenderella answered 1 day ago
    Few mothers would ever admit that they have a favorite, but it is human nature to like a child who has a personality like yours, you know? For instance, I have a younger sister and I am sure that though my mother loves both of us the same, she does LIKE my sister more because they have the same temperment and they have a natural understanding of one another.

    ReplyDelete